Friday, January 18, 2013

Ending with a Luang Prabang

This Unesco world heritage site always tops the lists of Things to do in Laos and it is very easy to see why. Beautifully preserved colonial architecture, gorgeous temples teeming with orange-garbed monks, sunsets over the Mekong River, wonderful hand-woven textiles from local hill tribes, fresh restaurants featuring delicious Laotian cuisine, cafes with wonderful croissants and coffee, markets with fresh produce and local handicrafts - all of this is a quiet and peaceful mountain town at the confluence of two rivers. It is a wonderful place to relax and pamper yourself for a few days which is exactly what yours truly did.

DSC05778
Alley in Luang Prabang
DSC05768
Buddhist Temple at Royal Palace
DSC05854
Morning Market
DSC05847
Bamboo footbridge over the Nam Khan river
DSC05812
Detail on Wat Xieng Thong
DSC05869
Cat & Cat
DSC05822
Monk relaxing
DSC05843
Night Market
DSC05836
Sun setting over the Mekong

I did rouse myself out of the relaxing stupor early once morning to see the monks run the gamut of tourist cameras at sunrise while receiving their morning alms (rice and other foods) from the devout and the curious alike. Many of the shutterbugs were pretty intrusive, and I felt bad for the monks, most of whom were very young boys, being on display like that. Of course, that didn't stop me from hanging back at a respectful distance to take a few snaps myself.

DSC05667
Morning Alms
DSC05652
Monks getting food donations
DSC05741
Some of the monks are really really young
I later spent an afternoon travelling up the Mekong river to visit the Pak Ou caves, which are stuffed full of various Buddhas. The journey itself was the highlight, three hours of nothing but river-gazing was a lovely way to while the day away.

DSC05918
Pak Ou lower cave
DSC05929
Pak Ou upper cave
DSC05954
On a boat up the Mekong
DSC05949
Rapids on the Mekong River
DSC05908
Monks on the banks of the Mekong
My final day, I tried my hand at dying and weaving with a course at the Ock Pop Tok weaving centre. It was absolutely fascinating, and I highly recommend it to anyone. We spent the morning gathering berries and leaves and dying natural silk skeins (which we then got to keep), and in the afternoon, we spent about three hours on the loom, weaving a placemat. Of course, my effort was nowhere near as impressive as even a Laotian child's work, but it was fascinating to learn the various techniques and it made me appreciate the hard work that went into my purchases from various stores and markets in town even more.

DSC05990
Dying silk
DSC06024
Ock PopTok weaving centre
DSC06020
Weaving on a local loom
UPDATE: as per request, here's what my finished piece looks like:

IMG_2127
My wobbly weave

No comments:

Post a Comment