Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hike-u

As previously mentioned, I'm not much of a hiker. When I was sixteen, everybody in my class was doing something called the Duke of Edinburgh award. Part of it consisted of hiking for two days in the Wiltshire countryside and camping overnight. By day two, I was so incredibly grouchy, mumbling obscenities and cursing the lack of concrete, that the rest of my group was honestly worried that I was in the beginning stages of hypothermia. I wasn't. I just hated being cold and wet and sleeping in tents and peeing in bushes and being covered in mud and hauling a backpack... I hated all of it.


That hasn't changed.


And yet, I found myself in the self-proclaimed "hiking capital of Argentina" on Thursday. Mainly because everybody I've met kept telling me that I HAD to go to El Chalten. That it was the most amazing place. That I would really be missing out if I didn't at least go for a day.


DSC00440
El Chalten


When I arrived, I was greeted by sleeting rain and the worst non-hurricane winds I've ever experienced. You couldn't see the mountains, you could barely see the ground in front of you. As I trudged towards the trails, I silently cursed everyone who told me to go to El Chalten. And then I binned my nascent trekking attempt and went for pizza and a beer instead.


DSC00416
Tasty local brew


An hour later, the weather had marginally improved (no sleet but still ludicrously windy) so I tried again. And this time, not only did I make it up one of the easiest trails, but I also passed several septuagenarians along the way and beat them to the viewing point by five minutes! Achievement!


DSC00425
Mount Fitz Roy


Several quick photos later, I scampered back down the trail and promptly sank into the nearest pub to sample some of the local microbrews while patting myself on the back. Job well done.


DSC00429
Me up a mountain

5 comments:

  1. And? Are you glad you went? Looks pretty beautiful to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad on the way back down... on the way up? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E told me today you are doing this. I am so proud of you! Have the adventure of a lifetime. Pass thru Miami on your way home, I'll give you a beer or something. Love, E's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that you had pizza & hiked. and still liked your day =) and the mountains in these photos look like they're from a j.r.r. tolkien book. simply amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. The septuagenarians probably thought they'd died and gone to heaven.

    ReplyDelete