Saturday, January 14, 2012

Estoy en Sudamerica!

I think.

Something I have realized very early on (and I'm talking on the plane early on) is that despite my naive belief that everything would be just fine, my limited Spanish does NOT suffice. I even resorted to that extremely embarrassing English habit of just adding an "o" or an "a" to the end of an anglo-saxon word. Right now, to quote a friend of the family, my spanish is "muy shitty".

DSC00138
Palermo Viejo

Much like the sidewalks in one of my favourite neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. Nearly four years ago, when I first stayed in Palermo Viejo, I had to learn to stop admiring the buildings while walking around otherwise I would end up with something ghastly on my shoes. The problem wasn't just lazy pet owners, it was all the very friendly and very spoiled stray dogs wandering the streets.

DSC00134
very friendly stray dog


I still saw a whole bunch of stray dogs, but strangely this time around, not so much shit. I can't work out if it's because of gentrification or because I managed to arrive here during vacation time in Argentina. Either way, it made me feel a little homesick thanks to the preponderance of brown stuff in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (as so often excellently documented here by Miss Heather). And just as I was having that moment of hankerin', what did I see? A polish union right here in Palermo!

DSC00153
Union de los Polacos

And thanks to that, this neighborhood will forever now be the Greenpoint of the south to me. Which is probably why I haven't left it much. I've just been wandering around, absorbing the sun, watching the beautiful people, admiring the architecture, drowning in Malbec and chowing down on fabulous food like Bife de Lomo (tenderloin steak) and Morcilla (blood sausage).


mmm...morcilla...

I'm basically just using the opportunity of being in a city that I feel comfortable in (crappy spanish notwithstanding) to try and figure out where I should go in this vast and beautiful continent. I've got a trip to Colonia in Uruguay tomorrow and a bus ticket for Puerto Madryn in Patagonia on Monday. It's a twenty hour bus ride which should give me the opportunity to edit together a short video I shot in the Plaza de Mayo today.  And by short, I'm talking 30-45 seconds. Twenty hours is enough time to do that in final cut pro x, right??

Plaza de Mayo



4 comments:

  1. from the greenpoint of the north, it looks lovely baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff Tina - so glad you are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Rhys said! Thrilled to see you on the blogosphere. Keep it up! There must be about a gazillion blogs that contain only a handful of entries - I'm guilty of a few myself - the hardest thing is doing it day after day. You definitely have an audience though! Can't wait to read about your adventures. Go safe, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, cuidado on el bus con tus computadora...and just in general once you depart that cosmopolitan city of the south...i want to read more blogs. Have fun. Jj

    ReplyDelete