Monday, October 8, 2012

Wildlife

In England, much of the wildlife was lost centuries ago, including the top predators. So it was a real treat for me to get to see so many wild animals in the United States, including the biggest badass of them all - the Grizzly Bear.

IMG_3276
Grizzly Bear in Glacier National Park, Montana
Here's a little video of the Grizzly snarfling around. My apologies for the shakiness, the bear was thankfully pretty far away!


Grizzly Bear from Tina Cone on Vimeo.

I never saw any other wild bears except in Glacier National Park, but I did see plenty of other animals across the country.

IMG_4282
Mustangs in North Dakota
IMG_0304
Pronghorn in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
IMG_4134
Deer in the Sandhills of Nebraska
IMG_4030
Lady Moose in Grand Teton Park, Wyoming
IMG_2664
Elk on the Oregon shoreline
IMG_3217
Mountain goat snoozing in the snow at Glacier National Park
IMG_3165
Kid and mother in Glacier National Park
IMG_3204
Colombian Ground Squirrel in Montana
IMG_2173
Rabbit in Joshua Tree National Park, California
IMG_4080
Prairie Dogs in South Dakota
IMG_3861
Yellow-bellied Marmot in Yellowstone National Park
IMG_3232
Whistle Pig in Glacier National Park
IMG_4485
Three legged fox in Tahqaumenon Falls State Park, Michigan
IMG_3894
Coyote in Yellowstone National Park
IMG_3580
Lamar Valley Wolf Pack in Yellowstone National Park
I had no idea how rare it was to see and hear a wolf pack in Yellowstone, so I feel very lucky that on my first morning out in Lamar Valley, I was treating to half an hour of wolves howling on top of a hill. I later found out there was a fresh bison carcass nearby so that might have been why they were so excitable. Here's a few minutes of video I shot:


Wolves from Tina Cone on Vimeo.

On the west coast, I was hoping to see some of America's other top predators, Orcas, but sadly they did not show up while I was there. Next time!

IMG_3074
Seals in the Haro Strait, Washington
IMG_3079
Eagles on the San Juan Islands
IMG_3008
Cormorant and chicks in Anacortes, Washington
IMG_1500
Roseate Spoonbill and chicks on Avery Island, Louisiana
IMG_2040
Crow at the Grand Canyon, Arizona
IMG_1866
Mule Deer at the Very Large Array in New Mexico
IMG_1625
Deer in Big Bend, Texas
IMG_1459
Alligator in Lafitte, Lousiana
IMG_4267
Buffalo in South Dakota

The first time I saw a wild bison herd was in Yellowstone National Park. It hearkened back to a time when this whole area had millions of buffalo and literally gave me chills.


Buffalo from Tina Cone on Vimeo.

I also learned that bison, especially when they are in rut in August, are kinda assholes. Every single traffic jam in the Park happened because of this.

IMG_3497
Yellowstone National Park

And once the buffalo were in the road, there was no shifting them. Despite the best efforts of the Park Rangers.


How to move a buffalo from Tina Cone on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. the wolves & grizzly bear are my favorites. the fox gets huge kudos for having three legs & just not giving a chiz.

    ReplyDelete