Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I've been in 51 states, if you include exhaustion

IMG_1633

Driving around the USA from June through September was simultaneously amazing and totally draining. I have a tendency to over-schedule myself and having a vehicle constantly at my disposal just exacerbated it. Hence I found myself crawling into bed after 16 hour days, too tired to do anything more taxing than reaching for the remote. But while this blog may have suffered, I did manage to see some fantastic things this summer like rainbows over the Grand Canyon, sunsets over Mackinac Island, giant sequoias in California, jive joints in Mississippi, teetotalling fiddlers in Arkansas, creationists in Kentucky, gospel church-goers in Tennessee, grizzly bears in Montana, wolves howling in Wyoming, and bison blocking the road in Yellowstone.

IMG_3693

All of which I hope to condense into a couple of manageable morsels in this space over the next week or two. For right now though, I only have one over-arching observation from my 21,233 miles on the road and it is this: Texans are terrible drivers, Californians are even worse, but the worst drivers I encountered in all 50 states? Michiganders.

1 comment:

  1. i second that on both the texans & californians... i can't speak michiganders, but i totes believe you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete