Saturday, February 11, 2012

In Vino Veritas

Last year, while celebrating the great Sarah Muller's birthday, I drank the Brooklyn Winery out of  Malbec.

So I viewed my visit to the actual origin of such deliciousness as more of a pilgrimage than anything else. Accompanied by two fellow devotees from my hostel, I took the bus out to Maipu, just south of Mendoza, and picked up my trusty steed: a bicycle.

DSC00627

First stop: Vina Maria (which apparently doubles up as a B&B). Ignoring both the shocked face of the salesperson and the fact that it wasn't even noon yet, all three of us ordered two glasses of Malbec each.
Then it was back on the bikes to travel the short distance to La Rural, where we enjoyed another tasty Malbec - this time for free!
In the interests of variety, our next stop was a very chilled out beer garden on Mitre. Three pints apiece later, it was back to the vineyards.
Our next stop was Mevi. I branched out trying a Malbec Rose and a sweet white Torrontes wine as well as the Malbec.

DSC00626

By this time, we were slowing down on both the bikes and the boozing. Realizing that it was 5pm, and the bikes had to be back by 7pm, we only had time for one more vineyard: Tempus Alba. There, I once again tried a triple combo: a Sauvignon Blanc, a Syrah and of course, a Malbec.

DSC00619

All the wines were simply gorgeous. The Malbecs in particular. My only regret is that I couldn't squeeze a couple of bottles of wine in my rucksack for the road.

DSC00633

1 comment:

  1. you could always mail some wine back. no promises it'll be here when you get here. but ya know... i could try. =)

    ReplyDelete