Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chile con Coné

I was wondering why so many Chileans pronounced my last name with a bit of a grin.

Someone finally explained why.

images-1
ermmm...

Wikipedia tells me Coné is a comic book condor character created by Pepo in 1967. He has been delighting children (and apparently, people who look at my passport in Chile) ever since.

Freakish cartoon bird coincidence aside, Chile has been pretty fantastic. The only city I've visited so far that wasn't so great, was the university town of Valdivia. It was very pretty, but touristy.

DSC00553
Valdivia
My favorite place was the Feria Fluvial: an open air fish and seafood market on the river.

DSC00556
Feria Fluvial in Valdivia
Sea lions hung out there waiting for scraps. They got pretty damn close.

DSC00549
extreme close-up
My least favorite thing? The touristy schlock everywhere, including the sad sad sight of people dressed up as native Mapuche playing music from the soundtrack of Last of the Mohicans. If I had a do-over, I probably would skip Valdivia in favor of somewhere else in the Chilean or Argentinian Lake District. But unfortunately, I had no time to see anything else. One thing I'm very quickly realizing is that four months is not nearly long enough to see everything I want to see in South America. On the bright side, that means I have a good excuse to come back, right?

DSC00552
Tourist tchotchkes in the Mercado Municipal

1 comment:

  1. yes. and perhaps you can come back... ya know, for a shorter trip and bring some company? =P xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete