Sunday, February 10, 2013

I got 99 problems but a beach ain't one

DSC07570
Koh Tao
I just got back from four days of underwater and aerial activity on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand. It is surrounded by tropical reefs, filled with fish and coral, and there are literally dozens of dive operations on the island. Unfortunately, thanks to a head cold, I was stuck snorkelling instead. But even that was lovely because many of the reefs are just off shore, so I could fall out of my basic beach bungalow and be among the fishes in seconds.

IMG_2243
Two steps from my bungalow
DSC07564
Koh Tao reef
IMG_2231
Local scrounger
Koh Tao is extremely popular with tourists, so there are plenty of land-based activities too. Including Flying Trapeze Adventures, which offers anyone the opportunity to soar amid the palm trees. The tropical temperature ensured I didn't exactly fly through the air with the greatest of ease, but still, for about an hour, I was a daring young woman on a flying trapeze.

IMG_2236
Tropical Trapeze
This island was one of the more expensive places I visited on this trip because even though the diving is comparatively cheap, accommodation and food is pricier than on the mainland. Paradise comes with a price tag!

IMG_2253
Koh Tao sunset

1 comment: