Thursday, December 13, 2012

Karst Earth

DSC02353
My final stop in China was one of my favorites, even though it rained for 80% of my stay. Even misty and drizzly, the countryside around Yangshuo, in Guangxi Province, is breathtaking.

DSC02378
Guangxi Province
The jagged limestone formations, the meandering Yulong river, the fresh air and full fields all combined to make this area one of the most pleasant places I visited in China.

DSC02400
Karsts & Fields
Hundreds of tourists take bamboo rafts down the Yulong river every day, travelling the same way that locals have for centuries. I stayed on (relatively) dry land but thoroughly enjoyed watching the rest of the world float by.

DSC02394
Yulong River

DSC02416
Bamboo rafts
A bicycle was my main mode of transport around the neighborhood. I was soaked through and covered in mud for the first few days. I also managed to get repeatedly lost, ending up off road, pushing my bike along narrow farmer paths through rice paddies. And I loved every second of it.

DSC02424
Chickens
DSC02363
One man and his water buffalo
The day I left, it was finally sunny. So I spent my last few hours back in the bike saddle, meandering around the local villages. A wonderful way to end my visit.

DSC02429

1 comment: