Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Three Day Dash

I'm on such short schedule that I unfortunately found myself with VERY little time to see Ecuador. Only about a week. So I had to move quickly after visiting Quito.

First stop, Otavalo for the Saturday morning market. Trading has been happening here since before the Incan Empire, and is a great place to shop for ponchos and blankets made by the indigenous Otavelenos.

DSC01795
Plaza de Ponchos, Otavalo
Of course, I couldn't really BUY anything - no space in the backpack - but it was still impressive. Even for someone as shopping-averse as me.

DSC01796
Saturday morning market, Otavalo
I also got the chance to visit Cotacachi, a gorgeous town known for its leatherwork. It's only about a 30 minute bus ride away from Otavalo and well worth the trip.

DSC01793
Cotacachi
After that, I headed south, to the snow-covered and still active Cotopaxi volcano.

DSC01868
Summit of Cotopaxi volcano
The national park and the area surrounding it are simply stunning, it is literally a cradle of volcanoes.

DSC01805
view from the hostel
While you CAN climb Cotopaxi, I'm in absolutely no such shape for such an undertaking (apparently the success rate is only about 30%). So instead, I took a lovely walk around the Laguna de Limpiopunga near the foot of Cotopaxi.

DSC01853
wild horses at the foot of Cotopaxi Volcano
From Cotopaxi, I hopped a bus south to Banos. It's a big tourist town, for locals and gringos alike, despite the potential threat from Volcano Tungurahua. Apparently, the town had to evacuate about ten years ago, and the military and police took over. When people did return, their homes had all been looted, so the next time the government asked them to evacuate, a lot of people refused.

DSC01898
Banos

Unfortunately, it was a bit rainy, so I didn't actually go to the volcanic thermal baths from which the town presumably got its name. But I did rent a jeep and drive (through the pouring rain on mountain roads) to see a waterfall about 17 km out of town.

DSC01890
Pailon del Diablo
The skies had cleared by the time I got to El Pailon del Diablo (the Devil's Cauldron), but it didt matter. I got soaked by the thundering waterfall itself instead!

DSC01886
getting drenched by Pailon del Diablo

No comments:

Post a Comment