Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Tina Literary Supplement

I've spent a lot of time on buses, or waiting for buses, or waiting at hostels BEFORE waiting for buses. The pleasant by-product of all that waiting? Reading. Lots and lots of reading. Here's a quick look at what I've read so far (excluding an untold number of crappy romance novels that are my literary equivalent of crack-chocolate):

The Alchemist, Paulo Coehlo
The perfect book to read while traveling in South America. Written by Brazil's best-selling author, it's a rich fable about the importance of pursuing your dreams. Thanks for the affirmation, sir!

Various Poems, Pablo Neruda
Arguably Chile's most famous poet, his poems are extraordinary. And reading his works made me angry all over again about the treatment of his legacy under Pinochet.

Among Others, Jo Walton
I'm very sad to be missing book club at Word in Brooklyn, but very happy that I get to read their recommendations regardless. This was a charming fantasy/sci fi novel, not at all what I normally read so I was happy that Word once again pushed me outside my comfort zone.

World War Z, Max Brooks
This was such a compelling book about a zombie apocalypse that I read it in one straight sitting. It also had the added benefit of making me miss the Walking Dead a little less.

In the Garden of Beasts, Erik Larson
A fascinating account of the lives of the American ambassador and his family in Berlin during Hitler's rise to power, written by the same guy who brought us the excellent "The Devil in the White City".

Beatrice and Virgil, Yann Martel
A disturbing reminder of what happened under Hitler, Martel examines the Holocaust using a play (featuring a howler monkey and a donkey) within a book. I'm not sure I really got this one.

Galapagos, Kurt Vonnegut
Every time I read Vonnegut, I realize how much I enjoy reading him, and wish I'd read more of his books. This book did not disappoint: a darkly hilarious look at humankind and evolution.

Feeding on Dreams, Ariel Dorfman
The fabulous Jill Kitchen gave me this book, and I'm very happy she did. While I found Dorfman's style a little precious, his account of life in exile after Pinochet took power in Chile was fascinating.

The Lost City of Z, David Grann
A journalist on the trail of twentieth century explorers who hunted for El Dorado in the Amazon rainforest. Totally compelling, especially when you are reading it while exploring said rainforest!

The Big Short, Michael Lewis
Despite reading this excellent tome and others about the financial crisis (like Matt Taibbi's Griftopia), I still don't get exactly what all the financial devices used to screw the economy WERE. Which I think is part of the point.

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern
Lots of magic, doomed romance, and the world's most remarkable circus; what's not to love? I devoured this book.

The Tiger's Wife, Tea Obreht
Another gift from the lovely Jill Kitchen, and once again, spot on! I can completely understand why this keeps ending up on "best books of 2011" lists, it is a marvelous and magical piece of fiction.

The Orphan Master's Son, Adam Johnson
A fictional story set in an all too believable North Korea, this book was imminently readable and totally compelling to boot.

Moonwalking with Einstein, Joshua Foer
A journalist goes to cover the World Memory Championships and ends up so fascinated, he becomes a mnemonist himself and wins the US championship. A riveting read, with the added benefit of an education about what memory actually is, and how we can improve it.

The Hare with the Amber Eyes, Edmund de Waal
My Mum recommended this ages ago and I finally got to read it on this trip. It is a fascinating look at early twentieth century France, 1930's Vienna and post world war two Japan, all told through one family and their collection of Netsuke. It's exactly the kind of historical prism I seriously appreciate and I can't recommend this book enough.

Agorafabulous, Sara Benincasa
A comedienne recounts her debilitating panic attacks that literally left her unable to leave her flat or use the bathroom. Her style wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but kudos for writing about such a difficult time in her life.

Unlikely Allies, Joel Richard Paul
The great Kent Jones recommended this to me years ago, and I'm so glad I finally got to read it. It's the (true) story of how three people, a playwright, a cross-dresser, and a merchant, all pivotally contributed to the success of the American Revolution. I love this kind of undercovered history!

State of Fear, Michael Crichton
A pretty ballsy book to write - he basically calls global warming guff. I'm not as immersed in all the different scientific journals as Crichton is but I'm always pro healthy and informed skepticism, no matter how unpopular.

Right now, I'm simultaneously reading three different books:
Cloud Street, Tim Winton (an Australian novel recommended by my love, Nick Ramsey, that is, so far, riveting)
The Pilgrimage, Paolo Coehlo (a surreal fictionalized account of a modern pilgrimage on the Road to Santiago)
Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahnemann (a brilliant look into how our brains work and why people are biased)

I also have the following books to tide me over for a few weeks:
Multiculturalism, Ali Rattansi
Open City: A Novel, Teju Cole
Woodsburner: A Novel, John Pipkin (another Word book club book!)
The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes
The Astral: A Novel, Kate Christensen

And if all else fails, I have Crime and Punishment. Which should keep me busy for the rest of the trip if need be!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of all that reading time. Barnes to the top of the TBR pile, please!
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! you like cloud street!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete